Prioritising skin safety is essential when using Walker Tape® products, or any other hair system product that is new to you or your customer.
Conducting a patch test before application or install helps determine skin compatibility and reduces the risk of any adverse reactions or discomfort.
Ensuring a secure and comfortable non-surgical hair system experience starts with understanding the importance of a patch test. By performing a patch test, you can assess how the skin reacts to the product and identify any potential sensitivities or allergies. This simple yet crucial step helps minimize the risk of skin irritation and ensures a successful and worry-free application.
Follow our comprehensive guide to perform a patch test effectively and confidently on yourself or your client.
How to perform a patch test:
- Select a small, discreet area: Choose a small area on the skin, preferably close to the intended application site, where you can easily monitor any reactions. We typically recommend behind the ear.
- Cleanse and dry the area: Gently cleanse the chosen area with a mild soap or cleanser, ensuring it is completely dry before proceeding.
- Apply a small amount of product adhesive, tape etc.: Using a cotton swab or clean fingertip, apply a small quantity (patch) of product to the test area. Ensure an even thin layer for accurate results. Apply a plaster or bandage over the product layer to keep the site clean and avoid exposure to contaminants.
- Allow time for observation: Leave the patch on the test area for the recommended duration, typically 24 to 48 hours. Avoid excessive sweating or getting the test area wet during this period.
- Observe any reactions: Once the allotted 24 to 48 hour period has passed, check the test area for any signs of redness, itching, swelling or discomfort. Note any adverse reactions and their severity.
- Evaluate the results: After the designated time, carefully remove the adhesive from the test area and assess the skin’s response. If no adverse reactions occur, it is generally safe to proceed with the product’s application. However, discontinue use if any irritation or discomfort persists.
Safety Precautions and Tips:
- Follow the instructions provided with the adhesive product for specific patch test guidelines and recommended duration.
- Avoid applying the adhesive product to broken or irritated skin.
- If you have a history of skin allergies or sensitivities, consult with a dermatologist or healthcare professional before performing the patch test.
- Over time you skin can change, and may react to products previously used. Even COVID jabs have also been know to cause changes in the body, that can also cause new adverse reaction. Changing to a new product could be the solution, this too we would advise a patch test before full application.
- We stock a range of scalp protectors that can help provide a barrier that protects the scalp.
- In case of a severe or persistent adverse reaction, seek medical attention promptly.
At Walker Tape®, we prioritise your skin and aim to provide a secure and comfortable adhesive experience. By performing a patch test, you can ensure compatibility and enjoy the confidence that comes with using our adhesive products.
Remember, a patch test is a small investment in safety that leads to a worry-free and successful adhesive application.